Michigan Wedding Venues:
Everything You Need to Know
If you and your partner are planning a wedding in the state of Michigan, there are a variety of options to choose from—and many are nature-filled oases. At Carats & Cake, we offer an extensive directory that can help you pick out the best wedding venues in Michigan. Our website is an excellent resource for couples who want to find the perfect Michigan wedding venues and vendors for their special days.
This guide will provide you with information on the best Michigan wedding venues and vendors, and we’ll also take a look at the various regions of this state to better understand the various environments it offers. We will help you decide on the ideal times of year for Michigan weddings and provide you with some of the best things for your guests to see and do while attending your wedding.
By reviewing the real weddings featured on our site, you can learn more about some of the most incredible Michigan wedding venues and vendors, and you can start thinking about how you want to plan out your own. From the best Michigan florists to insights into the most popular wedding venues in Michigan, we can provide you with the ideas you need to create an unforgettable experience for your wedding guests. Michigan weddings are uniquely their own, and finding your special way to customize this momentous occasion is even easier with the right inspiration.
Whether you are looking for the most unusual wedding venues in Michigan or deciding on catering, photography services and other vendors for your celebration, finding the best information is critical for you and your partner. At Carats & Cake, we make it easy to find wedding venues in Michigan that will work for your needs and your budget. This guide will assist you in finding Michigan wedding venues and vendors you and your partner will absolutely love.
What's the best time of year for a Michigan wedding?
When deciding on the best time of year for Michigan weddings, several factors will play a role in your decision. Summer is a popular time for tourism and wedding venues in Michigan. The mild temperatures and availability of outdoor activities combine to create ideal conditions for outdoor wedding venues in Michigan.
Tourism can also make it more difficult to secure your chosen wedding venues in Michigan. Colder temperatures during the winter months may also welcome indoor receptions and ceremonies at some of the most popular Northern Michigan wedding venues, plus properties throughout the state. The chill in the air, however, can make outdoor wedding venues in Michigan less practical for you and your partner.
Fall and spring are excellent options for indoor and outdoor wedding venues in Michigan. The beautiful and often dramatic colors of fall foliage are especially appropriate for wedding plans in this area and can allow your Michigan wedding photographers to capture unforgettable pictures of your big day.
If cost is a consideration when choosing wedding venues in Michigan, selecting one of the small wedding venues in Michigan can potentially cut your costs considerably. This is because you’ll likely have fewer guests, so catering and decor costs will inevitably go down with the guest count. Depending on the location of your chosen wedding venues in Michigan, you can also reduce costs by booking well in advance and choosing one of the less popular, “shoulder” seasons when booking your Michigan wedding venues.
What are the different types of Michigan wedding venues?
When deciding on Michigan wedding venues, you have a variety of choices to make the absolute best decision for your and your partner. Michigan wedding venues on the water are among the most popular options, but there are also bucolic farms, big-city settings, and more within the state. When deciding on the right wedding venues in Michigan, be sure to keep these venue types in mind:
- Ranches and farms: Much of Michigan is dedicated to agrarian pursuits. Ranches and farms in the state can provide rustic wedding venues in Michigan that can suit your needs. If you are looking for unusual wedding venues in Michigan, checking out local ranches and farms is a great place to start. Many of these rustic wedding venues in Michigan also offer tents or other indoor spaces to accommodate your wedding guests if rain or snow threaten your celebration.
- Vineyards: If you and your partner are dreaming of a winery wedding, these outdoor wedding venues in Michigan are often located close to the shores of the Great Lakes. Wineries, dairies, and other agrarian enterprises are popular choices when considering rustic wedding venues in Michigan. Wineries are among the most sought-after Michigan wedding venues and could be the ideal choice for your upcoming celebration. And who doesn’t love the idea of toasting with wine made by your venue?
- Mountains: Michigan has 347 named mountains, which makes finding the best mountain wedding venues in Michigan an easier (and yes, slightly daunting!) task than you may initially think. These unique wedding venues in Michigan may be located in resort areas or parks. If you are looking for Michigan wedding venues that will highlight the beauty of nature and the great outdoors, hotels and event spaces with mountain views could be a great choice for you and your partner.
- Estates: Some estates offer both indoor and outdoor wedding venues in Michigan. If you are planning a wedding during the winter months, making sure you have access to the indoors is essential in case of bad weather. Creating a backup plan for your Michigan wedding, like having access to a tent or indoor ballroom, can allow you to manage inclement weather more easily. Working with your planner and the coordinators of these wedding venues in Michigan is a great way to establish a contingency plan that will work for you and your wedding guests.
- Hotels: Many of the top Michigan reception venues are found in hotels in the area. When checking out the available hotel wedding venues in Michigan, be sure to ask about any added costs associated with your celebration. Tips and gratuities are among the most common expenses for Michigan weddings in hotel settings. Another bonus? Many hotels offer room blocks, making a convenient lodging option for you and your guests.
- Museums: If you are looking for more unique wedding venues in Michigan, museums could be the right choice for you. Finding museum wedding venues in Michigan can involve reflecting on your and your partner’s interests. For example, art museum wedding venues in Michigan are ideal for creatives, while history buffs would love a natural history museum.
- Libraries: Event spaces inside libraries can be another source for unique wedding venues in Michigan. While not all libraries offer up their spaces for Michigan weddings, those that do may have restrictions on the catering arrangements allowed inside. Checking with these more unique wedding venues in Michigan can allow you to make the most appropriate plans for your celebration.
- Private clubs: Many of the most popular Detroit and Grand Rapids wedding venues are located in country clubs and private clubs. If you are looking for the best wedding venues in Michigan, checking out local country club options may be a practical decision for you and your partner.
- Ballrooms: Magical and elegant, ballrooms are among the most popular options for wedding venues in Michigan. If you are planning a fairy-tale wedding, these Michigan wedding venues could be the right option for you. These Michigan wedding venues can set the stage for a dreamy and romantic wedding you and your partner will remember for the rest of your lives.
- Gardens: There is so much whimsy and color at garden wedding venues in Michigan. Planning your celebration at one of these unique Michigan wedding venues can often allow you draw inspiration from the existing florals and greenery of the property for your wedding decor. This can allow you to create a cohesive and magical Michigan wedding for you and your partner.
- Parks and lakes: Michigan state parks and local parks are among the most popular and wedding venues in Michigan. Many of these venues for Michigan weddings, however, may lack basic necessities like running water, bathroom facilities, and electricity. Be sure to check with the venues you choose for your Michigan wedding to make sure that you can access these facilities or can bring in rental equipment to compensate for the lack of these necessary amenities.
- Restaurants: Restaurants are among the most popular Michigan reception venues. If you have a favorite restaurant or are looking for small wedding venues in Michigan, you can often combine venue and catering costs into one bill with one of these options. This can simplify the process of planning your Michigan wedding for you and your partner.
- Churches, synagogues, and houses of worship: If you are planning a religious ceremony for your Michigan wedding, churches and synagogues are among the most popular wedding venues in Michigan and can provide a traditional setting for your celebration. Not all religious organizations allow non-members to marry in their Michigan wedding venues, however. It is worth checking with the leadership of the church, synagogue or mosque before planning your Michigan wedding in one of these venues.
Finding the best wedding venues in Michigan can be challenging. Whether you are interested in booking an island wedding in the state or looking for affordable Michigan reception venues, our directory can point you in the right direction for the best venues for your upcoming celebration. We offer a look inside the most popular Lake Michigan wedding venues and other properties you’ll love across the state to help you make the best decisions about your once-in-a-lifetime wedding day.
What are the different areas of Michigan?
Michigan offers many attractions and elegant venues for weddings and other special events. The nine areas of Michigan are defined by their location within the state. The proximity of the Great Lakes makes Michigan wedding venues on the water a popular option for many couples in this area. Plus, Grand Rapids and Detroit wedding venues are often chosen by those who live in these larger cities. And whether you and your partner have your hearts set on top wedding venues in Detroit, Michigan or one of the smaller wedding venues in Northern Michigan, there are so many options in each area. See more information below:
Western Upper Peninsula: Home to Houghton and a great place to find outdoor wedding venues in Michigan, the Western Upper Peninsula of the state features more than 150 waterfalls. The Lake of the Clouds, which is located in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, is a popular tourist destination that delivers beautiful scenery in a tranquil setting. Lake Superior is another attraction for guests to this area. If you are looking for Michigan wedding venues on the water, this area could be a great option for you and your partner. These wedding venues in Northern Michigan can serve as the ideal backdrop for photos and videos by top Michigan wedding videographers and photographers.
Central Upper Peninsula: Marquette is located in Michigan's Central Upper Peninsula and offers access to many outdoor activities and key attractions, including Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Big and Little Bay de Noc. If you are looking for Northern Michigan wedding venues, this area offers some of the most scenic options in the area. The Central Upper Peninsula is also a great option for barn wedding venues in Michigan for rustic weddings your guests will enjoy and remember for years to come. If you are looking for unique Lake Michigan wedding venues, this area is worth exploring for you and your partner.
Eastern Upper Peninsula: Sault Ste. Marie is one of the largest cities in the Eastern Upper Peninsula. If you are looking for Michigan wedding venues on the water, this vibrant city could be an exceptional option for you and your partner. The Northern Michigan wedding venues in this area range from private ranches and public parks to event centers and hotels. If you are looking for a variety of options for Northern Michigan wedding venues, the Eastern Upper Peninsula could be the right area for your Michigan wedding.
Northwest Michigan: Traverse City is the largest city in Northern Michigan, which is positioned right on the water. For an alternative to the popular Lake Michigan wedding venues, you might have the opportunity to host your celebration bayside in this area. The western Michigan wedding venues in this area are often located on farms or in parks. If you are looking for barn wedding venues in Michigan, you can find some of the best wedding venues in this part of the state too.
Northeast Michigan: If you are looking for wedding venues in Northern Michigan, the Northeast Region is an excellent option for your Michigan wedding. The rural nature of this area makes it a great option for small wedding venues in Michigan and could have more affordable options for couples. Lake Huron is the main attraction for Northeast Michigan, which might also offers some of the top barn wedding venues in Michigan. If you are looking for wedding venues in Northern Michigan, this particular area could be your best bet.
West Central Michigan: Grand Rapids is one of the largest cities in Michigan. For couples who have chosen Grand Rapids wedding venues, this area offers plenty of options for delicious cuisine and entertainment for you and your guests. Lake Michigan wedding venues are available along the coast of this region, which is also known for offering some of the best wedding venues in Michigan for outdoor ceremonies and receptions. For couples who are seeking out more woodsy, rustic wedding venues in Michigan, the West Central Region could be a great choice. From beautiful beaches on the coastline of Lake Superior to the attractions of Grand Rapids, West Central is a great place to find the best wedding venues in Michigan.
East Central Michigan: East Central and Southeast Michigan wedding venues are popular options for Michigan weddings with a rural, cozy feel. If you and your partner are in the market for unique wedding venues in Michigan, East Central is a great place to start your search. Home to Port Huron, East Central Michigan can provide rustic and metropolitan Michigan wedding venues that will suit your tastes and your budget.
Southwest Michigan: West Michigan wedding venues often feature spectacular views of Lake Michigan. If you are considering one of the barn wedding venues in Michigan, you can often find these options in the Southwest region. When looking for the best wedding venues in Michigan for your celebration, be sure to consider the options available in Southwest Michigan before making a final decision.
South East Michigan: Couples looking for Detroit wedding venues can often find elegant and upscale options in the South East Michigan region. Many of the most popular wedding venues in Detroit, Michigan are located in resorts, or in event spaces along the waterfront. Selecting Detroit wedding venues with a view of nearby Lake St. Clair can often provide you with the opportunity for beautiful and elegant photos for your wedding. Lansing is also located in this part of the state and can be a great option for unique wedding venues in Michigan. If you are looking for Southeast Michigan wedding venues, there are plenty of options for practically any style or preferences you might have.
Whether you and your partner are planning a Northern Michigan wedding or looking into wedding venues in Detroit, Michigan, it’s important to understand your surroundings and geographical preferences as you start the planning process. For example, wedding venues in Detroit can offer a big-city feel, while other parts of the state might provide a more bucolic setting for your big day. The best wedding venues in Michigan vary widely, but all of them can guarantee the most incredible day for you and your partner. Think through the areas you’re gravitating toward, consider any travel or logistical challenges that might arise, and then book your venue as soon as possible.
How much does a Michigan wedding cost?
The average cost of a wedding in Michigan is $17,742, which is significantly less than the overall average for the United States. Many Michigan wedding venues will likely offer off-season discounts and other options that can reduce your costs for your upcoming celebration. Opting for one of the small wedding venues in Michigan can also allow you to cut costs even more, since these come with lower guest counts and fewer catering needs.
If you are planning an elopement or microwedding, deciding on a courthouse wedding can allow you to avoid the cost of many parts involved in a traditional wedding. These wedding venues in Michigan typically include the services of qualified Michigan wedding officiants as well as witnesses, which can make it much easier to manage costs for your wedding. Some Michigan wedding venues may offer packages that incorporate many of the most important services needed for your celebration. Keep in mind that you must have a valid State of Michigan marriage license and two witnesses.
If you want a more traditional ceremony, you can sometimes save money by selecting one of the small wedding venues in Michigan. In general, outdoor wedding venues in Michigan cost less than those that offer indoor-outdoor versatility or that are entirely indoors. That being said, bringing in extra facilities like bathrooms, a kitchen, or tent for weather concerns might add up for those who opt for outdoor spaces. If you are looking for unique wedding venues in Michigan, however, you should expect to pay a higher price than for more traditional venues.
Catering is second only to the cost of wedding venues in Michigan and typically makes up nearly one-fourth of the amount you and your partner will spend for your big day. Reducing the number of guests invited to your Michigan reception venues can reduce your catering costs. Buffets are usually less expensive than plated meals and can be a great choice for rustic wedding venues in Michigan.
Your Michigan wedding venues will usually make up at least 30 percent of your overall wedding budget. By downsizing your wedding or opting for one of the less expensive wedding venues in Michigan, you can often manage costs and save money for other elements of your celebration. Choosing the right wedding venues in Michigan is one of the first decisions you need to make, but it’s important to have a conversation with your partner about your budget beforehand.
How do you find Michigan wedding vendors?
Finding the best vendors for your wedding venues in Michigan is essential to make your wedding a memorable success. At Carats & Cake, we can help you find the best sources for Michigan wedding dresses and other necessities to make your day complete. We offer access to some of the best wedding venues in Michigan, and we can also connect couples with the vendors who can bring your vision to life. Whether you are looking for caterers who work with West Michigan wedding venues or a photographer to capture every moment of your celebration, our directory is a great place to start when searching for vendors and venues for your special day.
- Michigan wedding planners: Hiring one of the many talented Michigan wedding planners is essential if you’re looking for guidance and support throughout the leadup to your wedding. After reviewing your needs, style, and more, Michigan wedding planners can help you determine the best options for vendors and venues. If you need a little extra help in identifying the top Michigan florists, bakers, or photographers, Michigan wedding planners can offer their expert suggestions and solutions for you too.
- Michigan wedding florists: Michigan wedding florists specialize in providing arrangements that suit your color scheme and your wedding theme. With so many Michigan florists out there, it can be challenging to locate your perfect match. Our directory is full of these top-notch pros, and we can connect you with Michigan florists in your area. Michigan wedding florists can also share necessary information, like which flowers are most available during the time you’re getting married and the style that would work best with your design needs.
- Michigan wedding photographers: Selecting qualified and experienced Michigan wedding photographers is essential to preserve your memories of this special day. WE also have a directory of Michigan wedding photographers and examples of their work to help you choose wisely.
- Michigan wedding caterers: Catering is a key element for most Michigan wedding receptions. When selecting your wedding caterers, be sure to check with your Michigan wedding venues to make sure that there are no restrictions on the catering companies you can use. Some wedding venues in Michigan may have preferred vendors or may have a list of catering companies from which to choose your wedding caterers.
- Michigan wedding DJs: The success of your reception may depend on the Michigan wedding DJs, musicians, or bands you select for this event. It is usually helpful to request a sample file from the Michigan wedding DJs you are considering. You may also be able to listen to some Michigan wedding DJs or bands by going to an in-person show or checking out their YouTube page for clips.
- Michigan wedding cakes: Since the wedding cake is often the centerpiece of the reception, finding the best bakery for Michigan wedding cakes can make a big impact during this event. Companies that bake Michigan wedding cakes can often provide samples of their work during tasting parties (how fun?), which can allow you to choose cakes that taste great and look just the way you and your partner prefer.
- Michigan wedding videographers: Along with the photographers you choose for your ceremony and reception, selecting one of the top Michigan wedding videographers can make your wedding even more special. Michigan wedding videographers who specialize in capturing the magic moments of your celebration can work together with your photographers to make sure that your wedding content is beautiful and memorable.
- Michigan wedding dresses: When selecting your Michigan wedding dresses, you can match your dresses to your wedding theme or to the decor and setting for your wedding. Your Michigan wedding dresses should be tailored to your own tastes and appropriate for the season and setting of your wedding. If you are planning your celebration at outdoor wedding venues in Michigan, for instance, make sure your hemline and shoes are suitable for the season and the expected weather.
- Michigan wedding rentals: If you are planning a wedding at one of the many outdoor wedding venues in Michigan, finding companies that offer Michigan wedding rentals can streamline the planning process for you and your partner. Some of the most important Michigan wedding rentals for outdoor venues may include generators, portable bathrooms, and temporary walkways that can make it easier for guests to reach your venue.
- Michigan wedding officiants: Michigan wedding officiants can set the tone for your celebration, and they create a welcoming environment as they lead your ceremony. These officiants can make your marriage legal and can allow you to create the ceremony and reception you want for your Michigan wedding.
Michigan wedding venues and vendors are key elements in creating an unforgettable wedding day, and there truly are so many options to choose from. By looking at photos and visiting beautiful wedding venues in Michigan and then connecting with experts who make weddings happen, you’ll be well on your way to the perfect ceremony and reception.
What are some things for guests to do in Michigan?
Your wedding website is a great way to provide added information on your Michigan wedding venues and other elements of your celebration to those you invite to share this special day with you. Adding a list of the most popular attractions that are located close to your wedding venues in Michigan can assist your guests in planning their trips to this area. Here are some of the best things to do and see in the state of Michigan:
- Parks and outdoor areas: One of the most popular attractions in Michigan, the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is located on an island in Lake Michigan in the Northwest region of the state. Close to some of the top wedding venues in Michigan, this tourist attraction offers plenty to see and do for the nature lovers on your guest list.
- Art museums: The Detroit Institute of Arts offers a collection of both American and European art that can provide hours of entertainment for guests before they head to your Michigan wedding venues in the area.
- Golf and sightseeing: For a day trip to a popular entertainment spot, Mackinac Island offers scenic landmarks, including Fort Mackinac and Fort Holmes. Plus, you and your guests can meet for a round of golf at Wawashkamo Golf Club.
- The museum experience: The world-famous Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn offers visitors the opportunity to explore American innovation with automotive and aeronautical exhibits, all of which are sure to delight guests of all ages.
- Concerts: Some of the top names in the music business have appeared at the Fox Theatre Detroit, which has hosted Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, and Jack White, to name only a few of the luminaries who have taken the stage at this National Historic Landmark.
Letting your guests know about unique attractions located within easy driving distance of your Michigan wedding venues can be a great way to enhance their enjoyment of this area. At Carats & Cake, we can help you find wedding venues in Michigan and the best options for entertainment in the Wolverine State.
Where do celebrities get married in Michigan?
Michigan wedding venues are popular destinations for celebrities to tie the knot. Easy access to the Great Lakes and striking scenery are among the reasons that stars like meteorologist Ginger Zee, actress Amy Smart, and The Challenge stars Zach Nichols and Jenna Compono have chosen to exchange their vows at wedding venues in Michigan.
While resorts and private estates are perhaps most popular among celebrities, hotels and farms are also favored indoor-outdoor wedding venues in Michigan that can offer an idyllic backdrop for ceremonies and receptions. If you are looking for wedding venues in Michigan that will provide you with the star treatment, hotels and private estates may be the best option for you and your partner.
How do you get to a Michigan wedding?
Your wedding website is a great place to provide information about your chosen Michigan wedding venues and other helpful hints for your wedding guests. Providing information about transportation options for those who will be flying in to attend your Michigan wedding is another useful addition to your wedding website. Here are some of the most popular options for air travel to wedding venues in Michigan.
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW), as its name suggests, is located close to many of the most popular Detroit wedding venues. If you have planned wedding festivities at Southeast Michigan wedding venues, this airport serves about 23 million passengers each year and is the busiest airport in all of Michigan.
- Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR) is an excellent choice for those planning to attend Grand Rapids wedding venues. Letting your guests know about transportation to and from GRR to your Grand Rapids wedding venues will help them to plan their trip more efficiently. GRR serves about 2.9 million passengers each year, which makes it a popular option for guests planning to attend your Michigan wedding celebration.
- Flint Bishop International Airport (FNT) is located in the heart of the East Central region of Michigan. This airport is a popular option for those planning to attend Michigan weddings and serves nearly 400,000 passengers each year. FNT is also a great choice for wedding guests planning to attend celebrations in nearby Port Huron.
- Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport (AZO) is close to many of the best barn wedding venues in Michigan. The central location of this airport, which serves about 267,000 passengers each year, makes it a great option for guests who plan to attend one of the many rustic wedding venues in Michigan.
- MBS International Airport (MBS) is located in Freeland and is close to many Southeast Michigan wedding venues. Within easy driving distance of Midland, Bay City and Saginaw, MBS is an excellent choice for couples planning celebrations at rustic barn wedding venues in Michigan. The airport serves about 242,000 passengers each year and is located close to the recreational opportunities of Saginaw Bay and some of the best wedding venues in Michigan.
- Sawyer International Airport (SAW) serves as a gateway to many of the West Michigan wedding venues in the peninsula regions. Serving over 100,000 passengers each year, SAW is located close to Marquette and many of the West Michigan wedding venues in this area.
- Capital Region International Airport (LAN) is a popular destination for those planning to attend Southeast Michigan wedding venues. This airport serves more than 180,000 people in an average year and is a public Class C airport located in Lansing and close to some of the best wedding venues in Michigan.
Incorporating this information into your wedding website can make it much easier for your guests to find their way to your wedding venues in Michigan. This can also assist in the planning process for your invited family members and friends, which can make attendance at your Michigan wedding venues much easier to accomplish.
How do you start planning your Michigan wedding?
At Carats & Cake, we can offer help in finding the right Michigan wedding venues, vendors, and other elements you need to create an unforgettable wedding. Our directory of real-life weddings can help you to identify wedding venues in Michigan (or elsewhere in the country) to help you plan the wedding of your dreams. For more information about Michigan wedding venues and vendors, visit our website and start exploring. We are here to help you find the vendors and wedding venues in Michigan that will make your vision come to life.