Everything You Need to Know
Modern weddings are increasingly popular among couples planning an epic celebration in the near future. These weddings vary in size from intimate to expansive, which can make creating your own modern wedding even easier for you and your partner.
Typically streamlined affairs that integrate a minimalist aesthetic, modern weddings are ideal for couples who love minimalism, chicness, and all that comes with that particular aesthetic. Finding modern wedding décor, dresses, and venues that complement this theme can help you and your partner to create a memorable and beautiful wedding that suits your personal tastes and that will appeal to your invited guests.
This guide to modern weddings will provide guidance and help in finding the right modern wedding venues, decor, dresses, and invitations for your upcoming event. With our directory of real weddings, you can also learn more information about everything from officiants who can host your ceremony to all the little (but very important) details you need to make your modern wedding extra special.
Whether you are planning an intimate modern wedding or a gala-style event with lots of guests, our directory and the information within it can provide you with the right inspiration. By looking through real-life weddings, which can be filtered by location or style, it’s easy to take note of everything you’re loving about each event. From there, you can start creating the wedding of your dreams that fits your and your partner’s budget and style.
What is a modern wedding?
So, what exactly makes a wedding modern? In general, eliminating outdated wedding traditions and creating streamlined ceremonies and decorations are some of the hallmarks of modern weddings. Here are some key elements of incorporating a modern aesthetic into your wedding:
- Formal venues: Most modern wedding venues are elegant and simple to showcase the other design elements of your celebration. Minimalist-style surroundings and pastels, black and white designs and all-white backgrounds are common in modern wedding venues and can make it simple for you to create your own unique statement for your special day.
- Structured clothing: Modern does not mean casual for most couples. And on top of that, modern wedding dresses can be as ornate or as simple as you like. In some cases, bridal jumpsuits are an eye-catching and attractive choice for modern weddings that can make a real impact on guests to your ceremony and in photos you can treasure for years to come. Other wedding dress styles might have more structure and clean lines, or you can put a twist on your look with a short dress or more on-trend, tailored suit.
- Not always new: Modern weddings can have vintage and traditional elements too. A modern wedding theme typically features a minimalist design while incorporating your own unique touches and modern wedding ideas. Feel free to incorporate special family traditions or heirlooms to create a vintage-yet-cohesive addition to your event.
- Streamlined invitations: Whether you decide on digital invites or printed modern wedding invitations, the wording and style should be elegant and streamlined. This will make your modern wedding invitations easier to read and will provide your guests with the information they need to attend and enjoy your wedding.
- Elegant decor: The streamlined effect should also carry through with the décor you choose for your wedding. Modern wedding decor typically features clean lines, formal flower arrangements, structural elements, and an uncluttered look to make your day even more special for you and your guests.
In many cases, you can find inspiration for your modern wedding decor and other elements of your wedding by checking out real-life weddings via our directory. This can help you begin to create your own modern wedding and to choose the best venues for your upcoming ceremony and reception.
What are the characteristics of a modern wedding?
Finding the best modern wedding ideas for your once-in-a-lifetime event can be challenging. With the help of our directory, you can search for vendors, venues, and draw inspiration for modern wedding ideas from real-life weddings. Whether you are looking for a concept for your modern wedding decor or an example of modern wedding invitations wording to adapt and incorporate into your own unique wedding invites, you can quickly and easily find inspiration.
Crafting your own mood board (a popular choice among celebrity brides!) can also allow you to capture the look, feel, and style of your favorite modern weddings. From elegant and modern wedding venues to the most stunning modern wedding dresses, the entries on your mood board can allow you to create a cohesive look for your upcoming nuptials.
Working with a professional planner can also provide some much-needed help in managing all the moving parts of modern weddings. Wedding planners can help you to create truly personalized wedding ceremonies and receptions to reflect your love for each other.
Some of the most important design elements to keep in mind when planning your modern wedding include the following:
- Overall design: Clean lines and sleek design elements are hallmarks of many minimalist modern weddings.
- Florals: Elegant and pulled-together floral designs and bouquets are also a key element of most modern weddings and can enhance the beauty of simple and refined venues and themes.
- Invitations: Minimalist designs for elegant and modern wedding invitations will impress your guests and increase excitement for your upcoming ceremony and reception. Finding the perfect modern wedding invitations wording can also be an essential element in the entire process. Black and white or neutrals are popular color palettes for modern wedding invites, and remember, they’ll be one of the first things your guests see in relation to your big day.
- Venues: Modern wedding venues typically offer classic or minimalist settings that can be dressed up to suit your theme and the overall look and feel you want for your wedding. Along with the modern wedding decor you choose, your venue is one of the most important elements involved in creating the most epic day.
- Attire: Choosing the perfect minimalist modern wedding dresses can allow you to make a lasting impression on those who attend. It’s also an excellent way to showcase your unique style and feel your best at your wedding.
Planning modern and minimalist weddings can allow you to enjoy an elegant and beautiful wedding that will charm your guests and will reflect your own unique aesthetic. From modern wedding decor to the perfect officiants, finding the perfect elements for your event can allow you to plan the wedding of your dreams.
What should you know about planning a modern wedding?
Following the latest trends in modern weddings can allow you to find the perfect ideas for wedding invitations, seasonal weddings, décor and many other aspects of your ideal ceremony and reception. You can also stay current with the most popular changes in how modern weddings are planned to ensure that your wedding includes the best modern wedding ideas. Your wedding planner is another great source of guidance and information on bringing your ideas to life and can provide you with assistance in the following areas:
- Choosing your venue: Your wedding planner can put you in touch with modern wedding venues in your area that are suitable for minimalist weddings that are as chic or mystical as you want them to be. In most cases, they can also recommend options for destination weddings that will match your theme and will provide the perfect backdrop for your modern wedding.
- Planning your invitation: A wedding planner can provide you with some helpful advice on creating modern wedding invitations that suit your theme and that will appeal to your guests. Designing a modern wedding invitation can be easy with the help of a trusted vendor who can work with you to create the most unique stationery. There are also plenty of online tools and other resources that can allow you to create modern wedding invites by uploading your own designs to create truly customized invitations for your guests.
- Renting furniture and décor: You may need to rent some items to bring your modern wedding ideas to life. Plus, your wedding planner can offer recommendations to make this process much easier for you and your partner.
- Selecting a photographer: Modern wedding photography is often associated with dramatic black-and-white wedding photos or a more avant-garde style–but you’re not limited to these examples. Wedding photographers who specialize in modern weddings can find ways to capture the moment while reflecting the overall theme of your ceremony and reception.
- Writing your vows: Modern wedding vows often eliminate some of the outdated language and antiquated concepts included in the traditional vows. Writing your own modern wedding vows can allow you to reflect your personal beliefs and the preferences of your partner. In addition to your vows, you can complete your personalized ceremony with modern wedding readings. Choosing the right wedding officiant to guide you and your guests through the ceremony, and give you time to share your modern wedding vows, can allow you to feel more confident that the day will have a smooth start.
- Planning your ceremony: Along with your modern wedding vows, you may want to make plans for music and modern wedding readings that will make your day even more special for you, your partner, your wedding party, and your guests. Modern wedding songs can set the stage for your ceremony and can accompany your exchange of modern wedding vows and other elements of your ceremony. Examples of the best modern wedding songs include “All of Me” by John Legend or “Lover” by Taylor Swift (to name a couple!). You may also be able to enlist friends and family to share more modern wedding readings during your ceremony. These could be poems or books written in the modern era, or even a sweet quote from a more recent movie or TV show. This can give a personal feel to your wedding and can allow you to include additional friends and family members in this special moment.
- Finding the right caterer: Catering is a significant part of your wedding, especially if you and your partner see food as a major part of your celebration. Your planner can help you find the best catering options locally and for modern weddings in exotic locations. The experience and expertise of these professionals can allow you to feel more confident in every aspect of planning your modern wedding.
- Designing the wedding cake: As with all other aspects of the ceremony and reception, modern wedding cakes typically feature clean lines and elegant decorations that will stand out from the crowd. In some instances, you may be able to take inspiration from the floral arrangements, your invitation design, or even from modern wedding dresses when planning the design of your cake.
Your wedding planner can assist you in finding modern wedding readings, songs, and even in finding the perfect modern wedding rings for your incredibly special day. By working with a knowledgeable professional, you can locate the perfect modern wedding venues and vendors to make your wedding an unforgettable experience.
What are the best modern wedding venues?
Hotels, industrial event spaces, and museums are among the most popular venues for modern and minimalist weddings. Your venue will often influence the way in which you implement your theme. If you are considering an art-inspired event, for instance, art museums should be at the top of your list of modern wedding venues. Some of the most popular modern wedding venues include:
Hotels and event spaces: These modern wedding venues offer all the amenities you need to make your wedding a success. While you may need to apply your own modern wedding decor to some areas of the venue, opting for a hotel or meeting space can take much of the work out of preparing these modern wedding venues for your ceremony and reception. Unique architectural details can be a real bonus when choosing venues for modern weddings locally or around the globe.
Industrial venues for modern weddings: Vaulted ceilings and wide-open indoor spaces are characteristic of industrial wedding venues. Keep in mind that there could be some acoustical challenges that might come with these modern wedding venues, which presents a challenge when it comes to guests hearing your modern wedding readings or modern wedding songs. Working with your band or music professional can help you come up with simple solutions to give everyone in attendance the opportunity to hear the modern wedding songs and readings you have carefully selected for your ceremony.
Art and natural history museums: The clean lines and elegant atmosphere of art museums can make them the perfect venue for exchanging your modern wedding rings in the presence of your friends and family. If you are interested in science, a natural history museum could also provide the perfect location for your upcoming wedding.
Craft breweries: Some craft breweries double as modern wedding venues too. These locations can provide a comfortable and elegant setting for modern weddings and include all the facilities you will need for your ceremony and reception.
Lodges: If you have your heart set on a wedding in the mountains or in the desert, lodges offer the elegant backdrop that is so essential to the aesthetic of modern weddings. These scenic locations can also provide opportunities for photographs that will showcase the beauty of nature and your and your partner’s love for each other.
Outdoor weddings: One key to keeping outdoor venues modern and elegant is to focus on decor. Whether you are planning a beach wedding or a garden wedding, the natural beauty of the area will set off your modern theme and will usually require small (but incredibly significant) touches to create the perfect look. Consider black and white designs and more avant-garde furnishings to update the venue and to create a modern look for every aspect of your outdoor wedding.
What can you expect from modern wedding dresses?
Checking out the latest bridal collections can help you find modern wedding dresses that suit your own unique style. Some of the most important features of modern wedding dresses include clean lines and structured styles that are form-fitting and elegant. Shorter dresses and simple dresses for modern weddings are also extremely popular and can create a unique look for your upcoming ceremony and reception.
The timing of your wedding will also make a difference in your choice of attire. Modern wedding dresses for spring or summer weddings might be lighter and better suited for warmer climates. Meanwhile, fall or winter wedding dresses might feature sleeves or other accessories to keep you warm. Overall, however, feather-trimmed dresses, puff sleeves, tiered dresses, and wedding jumpsuits are all popular choices for modern wedding dresses in a wide array of venues.
Hair designs for modern weddings should complement the dress and other attire chosen for the ceremony and reception. Many modern wedding hair designs are elegant updos or simple loose arrangements that will suit the dress as well as the setting and the overall look and feel of your event.
Your choice of modern wedding rings will depend on the preferences of you and your partner. You can sometimes match modern wedding rings to planned attire. It may make more sense, however, to decide on the modern wedding rings you like best, regardless of your overall event aesthetic.
How do you create the best modern wedding decor?
When planning your modern wedding decor, the core principles of simplicity and minimalist design should guide your decisions for the following elements:
- Think about seating and other necessary rentals. Furniture should be functional and streamlined to keep the focus on you and your partner. This includes rental items as well as those present in venues for modern weddings. For example, acrylic or metal chairs may be a good choice for modern weddings.
- Consider appropriate lighting. Candles, chandeliers, and other lighting should be simple and should provide adequate light for your ceremony and reception. Many venues for modern weddings already have lighting in place. But if you’re seeking out additions to your event space, try avoiding “busy” or super-ornate looks to create the most cohesive look for your upcoming wedding.
- Keep your flowers formal and simple. You may also be able to opt for greenery or a simple color scheme to complement the other elements of your wedding. All-white florals or a neutral palette are popular for this particular piece of a modern wedding.
- Get creative and detailed with tablescapes. Tablescape décor can be made modern by your choice of cutlery, serving plates, and dishes. Avoid adding overly ornate tabletop decorations to maintain your chosen theme. Keeping things simple and elegant can be the best method for creating a modern look for your upcoming wedding ceremony and reception.
How do you design modern wedding invitations?
Your modern wedding invites are often the first communication your wedding guests receive about your upcoming wedding plans. Making sure that this modern wedding invitation reflects the overall look and feel of your wedding can give your invited friends and family members an idea of what to expect when they arrive on the big day. Formal and modern wedding invitations wording can indicate the proper attire for guests planning to attend your wedding too. By creating a modern wedding invitation that includes all necessary information and that conveys the right tone, you can make things easier on your guests and yourself when planning the perfect wedding day.
The right typography and fonts can showcase your modern wedding invitations wording and can align your unique style with the overall aesthetic of your event. Consider minimalist-style fonts and more clean background images when creating your modern wedding invitation. This can allow your modern wedding invites to create the most positive impression on your guests and will serve as a treasured keepsake from your day.
Monochromatic invitations are a popular choice for modern weddings too. Black and white can create an ultra-chic look for your invitation. You can also opt for geometric patterns or more architectural looks that feature clean lines and elegant designs. These color schemes and themes are popular options for modern wedding invitations in both printed and digital formats.
Paperless wedding invites are a solid option for modern weddings. Even if you’re planning on sending physical invitations, you can limit the amount of paper you use by including any additional information on a custom wedding website. Here are some other very real benefits of making your modern wedding invites digital:
- Lower costs for printing and postage
- Reduced impact on the environment from manufacturing and transportation costs
- Easy integration with wedding websites for added convenience
- The ability to match your invitations to your websites, Save the Dates, and other elements of your modern wedding invitation and stationery
Are modern weddings expensive?
The cost of modern weddings generally depends on the venue you choose, your geographical area, your wedding vendors, and the number of guests you plan to invite. Although costs vary by state and venue, the estimated average cost of a wedding was about $30,000 in 2020.
Choosing modern wedding venues that are close to home can often save you money on transportation and other expenses. The state where you’re getting married will also have an impact on the cost of your modern wedding. For example, modern weddings in California typically require a larger investment in the venue than comparable weddings in other states.
Deciding on the number of guests you want to invite will also have an impact on the cost of your modern wedding. Larger modern weddings typically cost more in catering and may require larger venues and increased costs for modern wedding decor and rentals.
You may be able to reduce costs for modern wedding invitations by sending at least some of these important details digitally (via a wedding website, for example). Paperless modern wedding invites can cut down on the cost of printing and postage, which can allow you to save money for other aspects of your wedding plans.
Wedding dresses can also be a major expense for modern weddings. While the average cost of a wedding dress is estimated at $1,631, some top-end minimalist and modern wedding dresses can cost tens of thousands more. On top of that, tailored, structured, or tiered wedding dresses tend to be at the higher end of the price spectrum. If you want a simple and elegant white dress, however, the minimalist approach taken for modern weddings can often reduce the price you will pay for this element of wedding fashion.
While your wedding flowers are unlikely to be a major expense, you may pay a slightly higher price for some types of elegant modern flowers. For example, orchids and some lilies may be more expensive than more common flowers. Additionally, you may save money by choosing flowers that are in season and popular during the month of your modern wedding.
The choices you and your partner make about venues, wedding sizes, vendors, and other elements of your wedding will have a real impact on the amount you will spend for this major life event. Keep these in mind when starting your planning and budgeting process.
How do you begin planning modern weddings?
Planning modern weddings can be challenging, but it’s easy to find the vendors who can guarantee bringing your vision to life. You can start curating your ideas by looking through our directory, which includes photos, videos, and important information from real-life weddings that can provide the perfect inspiration for your upcoming ceremony and reception. With all of this inspiration, you can build your mood board, reach out to trusted professionals, and start to truly envision your perfect wedding day.