Houston Wedding Venues:
Everything You Need to Know
Houston, we don’t have a problem—because this city is the perfect place for a big-city wedding in the Lone Star State. Known as the space exploration capital of the world, Houston is brimming with art, culture, sports… and excellent wedding venues, of course!
If you and your partner are planning to get married in the near future, finding the best wedding venues in Houston can be an exciting but overwhelming process, since there are so many different can’t-go-wrong options to consider.
Fortunately, our directory is packed with photos of real-life Houston weddings that can help you find the best options for your upcoming celebration.Carats & Cake can also keep you and your partner in the loop about the latest trends in the wedding industry, including surprise weddings, micro weddings, and much more. Our directory also lists helpful Houston Texas wedding venues and other necessary elements for Houston weddings, from local florists to top-notch photographers. If you are looking for the best options for your soiree, our website is a great resource for finding the best wedding venues in Houston and the right vendors to make your event extra special.
This guide to Houston wedding venues and vendors will provide you with information on the best times of year for your event, the types of wedding venues available in the Houston area, the various neighborhoods in this vibrant city, and other factors to consider during the planning process. We’ll also share recent data on costs for Houston weddings, as well as some suggestions for things to do in Houston for you and your guests.
Ready to dive in? Here’s everything you need to know about Houston weddings.
What's the best time of year for a Houston wedding?
If you are looking for information about the best time to schedule your Houston wedding, most experts recommend booking your venues in the spring or fall. This can allow you and your partner to avoid the heat and crowds of summer in Houston while reducing the risk of inclement weather on your wedding day. Since high temperatures can reach triple digits between May and August in Houston, booking your wedding venue outside this window can help you and your guests to feel more comfortable in outdoor wedding venues in Houston.
Scheduling your Houston wedding during the summer and winter seasons, however, certainly also comes with benefits. During these times of the year, Houston wedding venues may experience lower demand and might be willing to provide lower rates for couples who book their weddings during the heat of summer or the chill of winter.
The right time to book wedding venues in Houston, however, will depend on your own personal wishes and the availability of those you wish to attend your wedding. If you have your heart set on a specific date that has personal meaning to you and your partner, you are likely to find unique wedding venues in Houston that will suit your needs any time of year. Be sure to book early to ensure availability for the best wedding venues in Houston. Dates fill up quickly, so it helps to get ahead in the planning process if you’re able.
What are the different types of Houston wedding venues?
You will have plenty of choices when you and your partner look for Houston wedding venues that suit your style and your budget. Some of the most popular options for wedding venues in Houston include:
- Event spaces: Many of the best event space wedding venues in Houston offer elegant indoor areas and ample options for dancing, dining, and decorating. Looking for Houston wedding venues all inclusive packages can make event spaces even more affordable and convenient for you and your partner, since they often come with all the furniture, food, and more that you need on your big day.
- Estates: Private estates are a great option for Houston wedding venues thanks to the serene surroundings, potential for unique garden photo shoots, and other amenities usually included in these venues. Be aware, however, that estate weddings may come with higher price points and can sometimes have restrictions regarding catering or other vendors that could impact the overall look and style of your wedding.
- Hotels: Resorts and hotel wedding venues in Houston offer all the amenities necessary to make your day special, from convenient guest lodging to in-house catering teams and beyond. This makes them a popular option for Houston Texas wedding venues. Once again, you will usually pay a premium price for these wedding venues in Houston.
- Museums: If you are looking for small wedding venues in Houston, museum spaces could be the right choice for you. Micro weddings and intimate weddings of 50 people or less are often easily accommodated in these smaller Houston wedding venues. At the same time, plenty of museums can accommodate much larger crowds, making them a good option no matter the size of your guest list.
- Botanical gardens: Some of the most beautiful rustic wedding venues in Houston are located in one of the city's gardens and botanical gardens. These Houston Texas wedding venues are an excellent choice for couples who want to take advantage of natural surroundings to create a romantic, beautiful backdrop to say, “I do.” Gardens can also complement your celebration’s theme in an effortless, memorable way.
- Ballrooms: If you are looking for an elegant and expansive Houston wedding venue, ballrooms offer lofty ceilings and beautiful decor to accommodate larger groups of guests with ease.
- Ranches and farms: Some of the most unique wedding venues in Houston showcase the history of this area. Ranches and farms are among the most popular rustic wedding venues in Houston and can provide the environment you and your partner want for your upcoming celebration.
- Courthouse weddings: If you’re hoping to pare down the costs of your soiree even further, courthouse weddings in Houston require only you, your partner, a small fee, and a Texas wedding license. These venues typically provide Houston wedding officiants and witnesses. You can also bring your photographer along to capture the moment for you and your partner. (You’re allowed to bring a maximum of six guests, so your photographer would likely need to be one of them.)
- Restaurants: Many popular Houston restaurants offer dedicated event spaces indoors or outdoors that can be used to host your Houston wedding. This can streamline catering services and can allow you to share a delicious meal with friends and family for your reception.
- Religious institutions: If you and your partner want to be married by a practitioner of your faith, churches and synagogues are among the most popular wedding venues in Houston.
- Small wedding venues in Houston: For couples looking for small wedding venues in Houston, Carats & Cake can provide options that may work for more intimate weddings. Some of the micro wedding venues in Houston also offer wedding packages that can reduce costs even further. By opting for Houston wedding venues all inclusive options, you can manage your wedding budget much more effectively while making sure that all aspects of your celebration go according to plan.
Houston wedding venues are located throughout the metropolitan area. By choosing your favorite neighborhood in the city for your upcoming Houston wedding, you can balance affordability with amenities to create the best experience for your wedding guests, and of course, your partner and yourself. When searching for the ideal wedding venues in Houston, you and your partner can use our directory to narrow down your choices and streamline the decision process.
What are the different areas of Houston?
Exploring the various neighborhoods in Houston can give you an idea of the atmosphere and the overall accessibility of the various areas in the city. Houston wedding venues are located in six basic areas, each of which is listed below:
- Downtown: As the business district in the nation’s fourth largest city, Downtown Houston is located at the heart of the city and is a great starting point for guests and couples who want to venture out into this metropolitan area. Many of the best wedding venues are located in this area, which spans almost two square miles and is home to 8,200 hotel rooms and more than 440 restaurants and bars (!). As you might have guessed, hotels and restaurants make up a large percentage of Downtown Houston wedding venues. The nearby Theater District and the Ballpark District offer plenty of entertainment options for you and your guests in this area as well.
- Inner Loop: The Inner Loop encircles the center of Houston and is a great place to find elegant and upscale wedding venues in Texas. Tree-lined streets and a vibrant park system can make this an ideal spot to find outdoor wedding venues in Houston. East Downtown (aka EaDo) is also located in the Inner Loop and features art galleries and nightclubs. Some of the oldest churches in the area are also located in the Inner Loop and can serve as unique wedding venues in Houston.
- North Houston: The close proximity of the George Bush Intercontinental Airport can make North Houston wedding venues a convenient choice for couples with relatives and friends flying in from around the globe. Gardens and parks make up a significant percentage of North Houston wedding venues. Some of the most popular North Houston wedding venues feature views of the water or are located close to golf courses and other attractions in the area. The residential atmosphere and beauty of this area have made it a popular option for small wedding venues in Houston.
- South Houston: There are several different types of South Houston wedding venues, from parks to country clubs. This area of the city features a more affordable cost of living, which can potentially translate into lower costs for South Houston Texas wedding venues.
- East and Southeast Houston: With several universities located in this part of Houston, couples can find plenty of amenities and things to do when booking a Houston wedding venue in East and Southeast Houston. Space Center Houston, the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site, and the Houston Zoo are just a few of the attractions that are within easy reach of Houston wedding venues in East and Southeast Houston.
- West Houston: Suburbs dominate this part of Houston. As a result, you and your partner can select from some of the best wedding venues in Houston without the high prices often associated with Downtown Houston venues. If you are looking for smaller and more affordable wedding venues in Houston, West Houston could be the right option for you.
At Carats & Cake, we know that finding the best wedding venues in Houston on a budget can be challenging. In our directory, you can explore photos of some of the most beautiful wedding venues in Houston to help select the right options for you. This can help you to find the Houston wedding venues you most admire and to select the best options for your tastes and your budget.
How much does a wedding cost in Houston?
According to research from 2020, Houston weddings cost an average of $24,087. Of course, that cost will vary depending on the size of your guestlist, your vendor team, and more. One way to reduce costs is to opt for a more intimate guest list and opt for small wedding venues in Houston. Houston wedding venues all inclusive packages may also be a solid step toward cutting down the expenses associated with your wedding plans.
When beginning the wedding planning process, establishing a budget is an important first step. Knowing how much you have to spend can help you decide on one of the many indoor or outdoor wedding venues in Houston, as well as the number of guests to invite. Many of the large and small wedding venues in Houston alike can provide off-season discounts, which can reduce your costs even more.
For most couples, a Houston wedding venue will be the single largest component of their wedding budget. Fortunately, there are a number of Houston Texas wedding venues that are both beautiful and workable for your budget. Our directory can help you narrow down your search by browsing through photos of wedding venues in Houston that appeal to your vision and budget. We are here to help you find the best Houston wedding venues for your specific set of needs.
How do you find Houston wedding vendors?
Vendors are essential partners in planning your wedding and ensuring that your guests enjoy the best experience at your Houston wedding venue. Whether you’re hosting a celebration at outdoor wedding venues in Houston or are planning an indoor event in the Bayou City, your team of vendors can help make your space unique to your big day. For example, a Houston wedding florist can transform your space with florals that will suit your theme, while a caterer can make sure your reception is full of delicious food and drinks.
Here’s a quick look at some of the various vendors that can help your event come together:
- Houston wedding planners: Selecting from among the best Houston wedding planners can streamline the planning process for you and your partner. Houston wedding planners can provide you with guidance on the best wedding venues in Houston and the surrounding areas as well as advice on the right vendors for your upcoming wedding day. (Long story short? A planner can reduce the stress of planning a huge event and make the whole process much more enjoyable for you and your partner.)
- Houston wedding photographers: Photos are an important way to remember this special day in your life. Working with professional Houston wedding photographers can allow you to have tangible, documented memories of your big day. You can work with your photographer to set up a shot list, as well as any moments you definitely want on camera. Your Houston wedding photographers can also work in conjunction with your videographers to capture every special moment of your celebration.
- Houston wedding videographers: In some cases, your wedding planner may be able to recommend Houston wedding videographers who are experienced in the venue or with the theme you have chosen. Our directory can also provide information on the best Houston wedding videographers for your once-in-a-lifetime wedding day.
- Houston wedding caterers: Catering will likely comprise a significant portion of your wedding budget, which makes it such an important decision in the planning process. The right Houston wedding caterers will work with you to choose the best menu for your reception. Most Houston wedding caterers can also recommend a bakery to create your cake. You can also consult with your wedding planner to find professional bakers who create Houston wedding cakes (more on that next!).
- Houston wedding cakes: In many cases, wedding cakes are the centerpiece of the decor for Houston weddings and receptions. Selecting a baker with experience in the type of cake you want can ensure that you receive the most delectable Houston wedding cakes for your upcoming celebration.
- Houston wedding florists: Flowers are a big part of any wedding celebration. Your Houston wedding florists can match your chosen color palette to complement your overall wedding design. By choosing a Houston wedding florist with experience in the theme you select for your wedding, you can create a magical experience for all who attend. (Not to mention, your Houston wedding florist can help curate any bouquets, boutonnieres, and more to help put the finishing touches on your wedding day look.) Not sure where to begin? Our directory can help you find the right Houston wedding florists to enhance your decor and to create the perfect atmosphere for your ceremony and reception. Of course, your planner can help you find a great florist for your celebration as well.
- Houston wedding rentals: For ceremonies and receptions held at one of the outdoor wedding venues in Houston, you and your partner may require the assistance of a company that offers Houston wedding rentals. Furniture, portable bathrooms, and generators are among the most common Houston wedding rentals. Working with a rental vendor can ensure that all the necessary amenities are in place for these unique wedding venues in Houston.
- Houston wedding officiants: While some Houston wedding venues (such as churches, synagogues, and courthouses) may provide officiants for your celebration, you can also hire an officiant or celebrant to direct your ceremony. Several couples also elect for a friend or family member to marry them.
- Houston wedding decor: Companies that provide Houston wedding decor can provide you with photo backdrops, displays, and other items necessary for your ceremony and reception. These items may be available to rent or to purchase.
- Houston wedding DJs: Music can enhance just about any celebration. The best Houston wedding DJs and bands will keep the party going and your guests dancing well into the night. If you prefer more formal Houston wedding bands, you can select from among classical ensembles or wedding singers. Whether you opt for Houston wedding DJs or prefer the live music that comes with Houston wedding bands, it is important to request a sample of their performances before making a final decision on the music to be played at your celebration.
- Houston wedding invitations: Printed Houston wedding invitations are a formal, standard way to let friends and family members know about your wedding plans. If most of your family members and close friends use email to communicate, you can also decide on paperless Houston wedding invitations.
- Houston wedding dresses: The right wedding dress, suit, or jumpsuit can complement every other element of the wedding celebration. Houston wedding dresses come in a wide array of styles, from rustic to romantic to modern. You can find inspiration for the right Houston wedding dresses from your venue, theme, and other elements of your wedding to achieve a cohesive and pulled-together look. For example, if you’re getting married on a city rooftop, you might consider a sleek, modern gown, while a formal country club wedding might call for an especially elegant or traditional look.
- Houston wedding hair and makeup: Once you have decided on the right Houston wedding dresses or suits and other attire for your wedding party, finding a company that can provide the right look to go along with the apparel can create a seamless, timeless look for your wedding. Houston wedding hair and makeup professionals can match your look to your overall color palette and celebration theme to help you feel confident and cohesive.
One way to find the right vendors and wedding venues in Houston is by browsing through our directory above. Along with a professional wedding planner, our directory can help you find Houston wedding venues that will work for your needs and that will allow you to create the right atmosphere for your upcoming nuptials.
When choosing your Houston wedding venue, be sure to consider the local attractions as well. These can have a big impact on the experience your guests have before and after your celebration at your Houston wedding venues.
What are some things for guests to do in Houston?
Once your vendors and wedding venues in Houston have been chosen, you can update your wedding website to let your guests know about your plans. Along with information on accommodations and directions to your wedding venues in Houston, you can also add other useful information to help your guests plan their trip more easily. Letting your invited guests know about the best things to do in Houston can allow them to plan their trip more successfully as well. (For instance, they may want to pick a hotel that’s near an attraction on their must-see list while they’re in town.)
Here are some of the top attractions and ideas for day trips for you and your partner, your wedding party, and all those who plan to attend your celebration:
- For nature lovers, the Houston Botanic Garden covers 132 acres and provides access to walking trails and curated horticultural displays for you and your guests. Founded in 2002 and administered by a non-profit organization, the Houston Botanic Garden is located at 1 Botanic Lane just off Park Place Boulevard. There is a fee for entry. For an even lower-cost option, however, the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center is a 155-acre expanse located in Memorial Park. With five miles of nature trails, this arboretum is close to many popular wedding venues in Houston and features several specialty gardens that include a Sensory Garden, a Wildlife Garden and more.
- The Houston Zoo is situated on 55 acres in Hermann Park close to several Houston wedding venues in Downtown. With more than 6,000 animals cared for in this educational facility, the Houston Zoo offers a chance to see and, in some cases, interact with animals. With many of the most popular wedding venues in Houston located not far from this area, the Houston Zoo is a great place to spend the day before or after your celebration.
- With numerous Houston wedding venues available near the famed Theater District in Downtown Houston, selecting a venue with easy access to these entertainment options can provide your guests with added opportunities to enjoy themselves in the heart of Houston.
- Houston Astros Minute Maid Park is a popular destination for sports fans. Located close to some of the top Houston wedding venues, this ballpark is the home of the Houston Astros and hosts games from about April to October for dedicated baseball fans. Minute Maid Park also hosts concerts by top performers on select dates.
- The Galleria is one of the most popular shopping destinations in Houston and offers an amazing array of shops and nearby restaurants. The ice skating rink is especially popular among families with children. Your guests can also take photos of the iconic Houston Waterwall located right next to this shopping area.
- The Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern is one of the most unique locations in Houston. An underground industrial complex that once served as a drinking water reservoir for the city, the cistern is located close to many of the most popular Houston Texas wedding venues. Rotating art installations can be found in this underground space to make it even more visually stunning for guests who visit the area.
- The Houston Aquarium is located in the bustling Downtown Houston area, which puts it within easy reach of many of the top hotels and other Houston Texas wedding venues. Guests can enjoy six acres of entertainment options that include amusement park rides, dining opportunities, and 500,000 gallons of water which and more than 300 species of aquatic life call home. If families with children are invited to your Houston wedding venue, this attraction could be the perfect afternoon getaway for them.
- RodeoHouston, also known as the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, is held during February and March each year. With over 2.4 million people attending in 2022, this event is one of the best publicized and most anticipated livestock exhibitions in the world. For couples planning to marry at wedding venues in Houston near the Inner Loop during the early part of the year, RodeoHouston is a great option for entertainment before or after the wedding ceremony and reception.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science offers five floors of exhibits that offer hands-on scientific experiences for visitors of all ages. Located close to many of the most popular wedding venues in Houston, this museum features a planetarium, an IMAX theater, and the famous Cockrell Butterfly Center.
- For aspiring astronauts and those with an interest in the space program, Space Center Houston showcases NASA's achievements and offers a look inside the astronautic experience for children and adults alike.
- Golf enthusiasts will enjoy the fast pace and green surroundings of the links at the Wildcat Golf Club. Located at 12000 Almeda Road, this golf course is close to many of the most beautiful Houston wedding venues, which makes it a convenient option for guests attending your upcoming wedding.
Your wedding website is the perfect place to provide added information for your guests about your Houston wedding venues, transportation options, and attractions in Houston. When selecting your Houston wedding venue, making a note of what attractions and activities are nearby can allow you to create a curated list of options for those who plan to attend your celebration.
What celebrities have held their weddings in Houston?
If you choose to tie the knot in Houston, you’re in good—and famous!—company. Several celebrities have picked Houston wedding venues for their big days. Many of these luminaries of sports, music, and film chose to tie the knot in hotels or private residences. For instance, private loft spaces and open-air options are among the most popular Houston Texas wedding venues for celebrities. Houston wedding venues with a modern feel are also in demand among celebrities and reflect Houston's status as America's Space City.
- Larger guest lists require larger Houston wedding venues, as Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans can attest. By choosing a larger Houston wedding venue with plenty of room for tables and the 500 guests invited to this ceremony and reception, you can accommodate larger groups in one of the best and most luxurious wedding venues in Houston.
- As the daughter of the mayor of Houston, Ashley Turner opted for an elegant wedding dress and a ceremony and reception held at one of the most popular dedicated Houston wedding venues. By choosing a single Houston wedding venue for both the ceremony and reception, couples can reduce travel time and stress for guests and wedding party members alike.
- Jordan Kimball, a previous contestant on Bachelor in Paradise, got hitched in front of 92 friends and family members at an event space located in the Galleria area of Houston. By selecting one of these upscale Houston wedding venues, you and your partner can enjoy the star treatment for yourselves.
- Hotels are another generally popular choice for celebrity weddings. By checking out the availability and cost of these top wedding venues in Houston, you may be able to enjoy the same luxurious arrangements that the stars look for when planning their own weddings.
Whether you are actively looking for wedding venues in Houston or just looking for inspiration for your own unique wedding, Carats & Cake is a great place to start your wedding planning process. We offer photos of some of the top wedding venues in Houston along with information on vendors and photos of real-life couples who married in this area. We can help you find the best Houston wedding venues near the attractions and activities most appealing to you, your partner, and your guests.
How do you get to Houston?
If you and your partner live in Houston, you may already have a good idea of the transportation arrangements that will make sense for guests traveling to your wedding venues in Houston. The METRO local bus system offers transportation within the city limits in selected areas. Taxis are also available to take your guests to your wedding venues in Houston directly. For those flying in from across the country or around the world, however, Texas offers several options for air travel that may make sense for your wedding guests:
- Houston's local airport is the George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), which is the closest option for Houston wedding venues. Car rentals and taxi service are available at IAH. This airport offers easy access to the interstate highway system and to many of the best venues and hotels in the area.
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), as its name and call letters suggest, is located in the Austin metropolitan area. Austin-Bergstrom offers access to the attractions of Austin and is about 156 miles away from Houston. Depending on traffic, most people can navigate that distance in under three hours, which makes AUS a viable choice for Houston wedding guests flying in for your wedding.
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) is another option that may work for some of your guests. With more than 73 million passengers served each year, DFW is a huge airport, offering 193 domestic and 67 international nonstop destinations. Dallas is about 260 miles away from Houston, which could add up to some serious driving on the part of your wedding guests. Car rentals are available, however, and sightseeing opportunities abound along the Interstate 45 highway you take to drive there.
- For those who plan to tour Texas on their way to attend your celebration, the El Paso International Airport (ELP) is located almost 750 miles away from Houston. That said, this airport offers all the expected amenities needed for a road trip from ELP to Houston, including car rentals and dining opportunities. In most cases, however, booking a flight to one of the other major airports in Texas will typically reduce travel times and improve the experience for your invited guests.
For guests arriving at George Bush Intercontinental Airport, hotel shuttles are available for many of the major hotels in the area. Letting your guests know about available car rentals, hotel accommodations, and shuttle buses through your wedding website can improve their experience when arriving at the airport to attend your event. Your wedding website can also provide detailed information and maps to help your guests navigate Houston and to find your venues easier. If you have reserved a block of rooms at a hotel for your guests, posting this information on your wedding website can help your friends and family members take advantage of this information to plan their trips. This can ensure that you and your guests enjoy the best experience throughout your wedding celebration.
Our directory of real weddings can help you pick out venues and vendors that will create the wedding of your dreams, whether that be in Houston or somewhere else in the world. Check out the Carats & Cake website to find inspiration or to identify the best vendors and venues for your upcoming celebration.